Played Points
1 India 5 13
2 Korea 5 13
3 Malaysia 5 9
4 Canada 5 6
5 Japan 5 3
6 Poland 5 0
This Week
Last Week
This Month
Last Month
All days

Your IP:
Server Time: 2019-10-16 02:08:08

Indian coach David John did not mince his words after India was held to a 1-1 draw by Korea at theAzlan Shah Cup match at Ipoh.



Despite dominating the match and having a 1-0 lead for a large part of the match. India conceded several penalty corners in the dying minutes.


And with the clock only showing only 23 seconds remaining, Jang Jong Hyun slammed home a penalty corner to share the points.


Indian coach David John said they drew the match due to indiscipline and playing the Indian way.


“We should have put away the game and scored a couple more as we had better chances in the first three quarters. But we did not take those chances that came our way.


“The last quarter saw the rain providing some assistance to the Koreans. The break allowed them to catch their breath and come away with a point. So, in a sense coming away with a point is still a whole lot better,” he added


It was a not a classic encounter as the early part had India in the driver’s seat and they were heading for a win when play was stopped in the 52nd minute.


India ranked fifth in the world are a five-time champion while the Koreans have won the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup just twice.


Both teams had met 80 times before this encounter. India now claims 32wins to Korea’s 31. Eighteen of the matches now have ended in a draw.


Both teams needed to secure full points from the match so that they can enhance their position for a place in next Saturday’s final.


After a listless first quarter, the Indians managed to break the deadlock in the second quarter.


India scored their goal in the 28th minute through a field attempt by Mandeep Singh.


Both sides continued to work their way into the D to get a shot at goal but most of the attempts fell wide.


The Koreans were a subdued unit unlike their game against the Canadians which was fast and clinical.


India on their other hand used their experience to control the midfield play and were more structured defensively.


In the third quarter, rain fell and the game was stopped in the 52nd minute when the pitch became unplayable.


The game resumed after an hour delay and this saw the Koreans pushing hard for the equaliser.


The Koreans in full control had five penalty corners to get the goal. The fifth attempt with 23 seconds on the clock, bore fruit.